[C320-list] Exhaust elbow question Yanmar 3GM

Richard A. Walker dickwalker at att.net
Wed Oct 4 10:05:26 PDT 2006

1.Exhaust elbow

To muddy the water again............

The Yanmar manual and the check list from the distributor, Boatswain Locker,
of the 3GM engines recommend that the mixing elbow be changed at 600 hours.

Only the elbow needs to be changed.  It is on other parts and needs to be
removed from the engine and a vice used to separate it from the parts either
side of it.  This requires the appropriate gasket at the engine.  You also
should mark the exact position of the old elbow so you get the same angle.
I intend to change mine this winter as preventative maintenance.

2. Water pump, European version by Johnson.

I found that I had developed a slow water leak where the shaft from the
pulley enters the pump.  I decided to purchase a new pump and then
repair/rebuild the old one.  Thus I will have a spare that will make it far
quicker to replace if the impeller fails.  By the way I also noticed that
after 7 years the larger of the fan belts, the one going to the alternator,
was cracked so I replaced that at the same time and will purchase another
spare.

Cheers,

Dick Walker
C-320 (687) WindWalker II