[C320-list] exhaust elbow question

Bruce Heyman BruceHeyman at cox.net
Thu Oct 5 09:43:26 PDT 2006

Rod,
When working on hull 671 this summer in Florida I had to replace the cutlass
bearing.  It was not worn straight but at a diagonal.  This is usually and
an indication of the engine being out of alignment.

The yard foreman that I developed a healthy respect for said that it was a
very common problem with Yanmars in Catalina's.  He says the problem is that
you can get the engine aligned statically (engine off) but when you get up
to full speed the torque is enough to throw it out of alignment.  The root
cause for this is the engine mounts are too soft.

He said as a result of the problem Yanmar now makes two version of our
mounts, soft and firm.  I haven't looked into it yet (it's on the list) but
I was going to replace with the firm ones.  6 years seems kind of quick for
a cutlass bearing to wear out.

Bruce
Somerset 671 SoCal