[C320-list] Whisker pole ring

Stanley Rogacevicz SROGACEV at holycross.edu
Wed Oct 11 05:55:57 PDT 2006

Rod,
  When I installed mast steps a few years ago I used a 'stop collar' or
simply a reversed countersink collar to insure I didn't plunge into the
mast any more than needed which I believe is about 3/16". I treated each
hole drilling as if the halyard holding me up was directly behind. I
also used screws that protruded into the mast cavity as little as
possible, maybe about 1/8", as I don't think any extra screw length
grabbing only air and possibly a current or future line or wire adds to
the strength of the attachment. Since any thread failure should happen
to the much softer aluminum widening the hole I don't think whether the
screw is 1/8" or 1/2" over length is going to make any difference in the
holding power. I suppose if the Locktite fails and the screw starts to
back itself out (but then corrosion might stop it any way) it would buy
you some time but if you don't notice it then it will eventually fall
out anyway. My mast steps got a very tough visual and physical
inspection on the way up....  that's for sure. It sure made it easy for
my wife to simply take up the slack on the bosuns chair to go aloft
though. Ahhh......  next summers project.... hopefully for the last time
.... :>)
Stan
formerly "Christy Leigh"
c320 #656
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

>>> "Rod Boer" <rod.boer1 at verizon.net> 10/10/2006 7:56 PM >>>
All,

I got a decent deal on a Forespar LC10-18 whisker pole at the Annapolis
boat show last week end.  I plan to install it on a Forespar SS PE3-SF
ring which has horizontal mounting holes spaced at 2-1/8".  The C320 in
the slip next to me uses the same ring but its vintage is earlier as it
has a pre-Yanmar engine and may have a different mast.  I recall an
earlier email where some one indicated that there were two conduits near
the center.  Does anyone have an idea what it takes to clear the
conduits?  I plan to drill and tap the mast and use 1/4-20 machine
screws.  Thanks.

Rod Boer
Odyssey, #688