[C320-list] Heaving To

Jeffrey Hare catalina at thehares.com
Thu Oct 12 06:31:30 PDT 2006

Hi,

  We've done this a few times in <15kt and (not being experts with it), we
may not have done it properly, but it worked nicely.  As I recall, we found
that we could keep our full 135 genoa out but trimmed in to a reach and
backwinded, traveller down and wheel mostly hard over.

We balanced the boat by playing with the positioning of the main to keep the
boat beam to the wind and not making much headway.  I wouldn't attempt to
further sheet in a backwinded genoa because the lines tend to pull on the
shrouds.

In much heavier wind I'm not sure I would do it quite that way.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

-Jeff