[C320-list] Charger Problem

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Thu Oct 12 07:49:28 PDT 2006

Doug-I had a similar problem with 2 new batteries which I just installed.
With a 2 month old Flyback 20-3 on, the panel voltmeter only showed one
battery in the charge mode and the other battery around 12.5 volts and not
in the charge mode.  I confirmed the panel voltmeter was correct by doing a
voltage check with my VOM on the batteries.  When I turned off shore power
and started up the engine, both batteries showed as being in the charge
mode.

I wrongly concluded the Flyback was the problem!  It indicated with the red
LED that it was charging, but I thought maybe it was working one just one
battery.  The problem was that there was a loose connection in the fuse
fitting on the battery not being charged by the Flyback.

My hull 894 has 2 leads from the positive terminals on each battery. One
lead has a fuse about 6 inches from the battery which is held in place by a
plastic screw-apart fitting which holds a small fuse.  This lead goes to the
Flyback.  I took out the fuse on the battery that was not being charged, did
a continuity test on it and determined it was ok.  The fuse looked clean and
the leads in the fuse fitting also looked clean. I cleaned them out anyway
and checked out the fuse fitting and the lead for any loose connections.
Everything looked ok so I put the fuse back and reconnected the lead and
turned on the Flyback.  (On my boat you have to align the ends of the fuse
fitting so 2 notches line up and then screw the fitting together.)  Both
batteries went into the charge mode.  I assume the fuse was not making a
good connection in the fitting.  I check that lead by shaking it and so far
the battery stays connected to the Flyback.

Perhaps when removing the leads from the batteries for winter strorage last
year the fuse fitting came a little loose and caused the problem.  I will
check these fuse fittings before launch next year and only disconnect the
negative leads for storage.  I did not notice that the fuse fitting was
loose when I removed the lead, but it may have been.

My Flyback 20-3 acted up earlier this year and I got a new one at a reduced
price from Professional Mariner ($200) and a 15 minute installation.  I
suspect the bad connection may have helped caused the 5 year old unit's
demise.