[C320-list] Heaving To

Chris Burti cburti at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 13 10:28:17 PDT 2006

In 10-15 mph, we aren't even thinking about a reef in the main, but at the upper range of that, I sometimes roll up the the 135 a little when I heave to in the rivers in order to slow down the leeward drift a bit. We sail in a shallow water estuine system here and we get a short, wicked and steep chop in 25+ mph. It is simply too uncomfortable to heave to in order to kick back in that much wind and we don't do it.

In those conditions we would have the main reefed and the 135 rolled down to about 100. If I want to kick back then, I'll fall off (or head up) to a close reach and the C320 balances well enough to tie off helm for 10-15 minutes and if you you have an a/p, it won't have to work very hard. This is also the most comfortable point of sail in these conditions if you have a choice. Close-hauled is too wet and sailing from a broad reach to a run is too rolley due to her big fat...oops...musn't say that about a lady.

When true wind is abeam in 20+ kt, our apparent wind will be close-hauled if the seas haven't built up yet and a high close reach if they have. I have found the C320 to be a hot boat on a reach if we let her sail on her feet, but her relatively light displacement makes her a bit susceptible to losing speed in the steep chop that we get here whenever there is any significant fetch.

Chris Burti
"Commitment"
Catalina 320, #867,
Farmville, NC