[C320-list] Autopilot

Adam Weiner esquirecatering at rcn.com
Mon Oct 16 20:03:03 PDT 2006

Up to recently it was a very large military port with the Hunter's Point
Naval Shipyard, the Alameda Naval Air Station, Mare Island and I believe
that Port Chicago is still being used.  The one closest to me that
causes me the biggest issue is Hunter's Pt. which was last used for
testing propulsion systems for nuclear warheads.  They had a crane that
could lift basically anything smaller than a battleship.

All were heavily used even after Vietnam, and a number of liberty ships
were built in the causeway that is now the channel for my marina.
Hunter's Point was used extremely heavily in both World Wars and even
after Vietnam.  Apparently a whole lot of metal went into the Bay.

There are also large cables in the Bay and the charts list "degaussing
stations" for these which apparently relate to trying to demagnetize
ships vis a vis land minds in WWII.

Adam