[C320-list] Bilge pump problem

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Sat Oct 21 07:31:11 PDT 2006

I agree that the loud rude bilge pump on my boat is a good warning.  You can
hear mine even when motoring.  I don't appreciate a similar acting fresh
water pump.

On the bilge pump clogging issue, I had a minor stoppage of my bilge pump on
hull 894 the first year it was commissioned new.  It turned out to be debris
from construction which worked its way into the bilge when the rubber hose
from the hot water tank that connects to the Whale lines came loose when
motoring.  The steam and loud bilge pump certainly gave me a scare.

I installed a Jabsco in-line strainer (part no. 36200-0000) which has a 3/4"
barb on the inlet to the bilge pumpa few inches above inlet in the bilge and
have not had a problem since.

I don't know why Catalina doesn't install these on the bilge.  On the
package for the stainer, Jabsco says the model is good for bilge pumps.  The
strainer is a simple screw on bowl over a screen and seems to have little
chance of allowing suction leaks.

On my boat Catalina puts this same strainer on the inlet to the
shower/refrigerator drainage pump so it won't plug. I would rather have a
flooded head when showering than a non-operating bilge pump.