[C320-list] PFD Alert

Allan Field Allan.Field at comcast.net
Sun Oct 22 15:28:53 PDT 2006

The TSA recently announced that automatically inflatable PFD's would be
allowed in checked luggage.  I read a short article the other night of
someone else who took their PFD on a flight.  The TSA munchkin who checked
her luggage apparently did not get the message that PFD's with cartridges
are now allowed on board.  So this woman went to a seminar after returning
home and took her PFD with her as the seminar was on the use of PFD's.  When
hers was opened to check out the cartridge, the cartridge was gone, replaced
with a note from the TSA munchkin that the cartridge had been removed "in
accordance with TSA rules".  Can you imagine what would have happened had
this been discovered only when needed?  I know that one can manually inflate
these things but the whole purpose of the automatic inflatable is that it
happens even if you are hurt.

Linda and I took our 2 PFD's to Rendezvous.  Yesterday I checked them and
our cartridges were still intact.  But for those who have flown recently
with your PFD's checked, you may want to be sure that the cartridge is still
there, versus a note from your friendly TSA-munchkin!

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Columbia, MD