[C320-list] Oil changing pump kit

bruceheyman at cox.net bruceheyman at cox.net
Mon Oct 23 05:33:45 PDT 2006

Where is the Video Recorder when you need it?
Bruce
Somerset 671 SoCal

From: "Allan Field" <Allan.Field at comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 08:16:15
To:"'C320-List'" <c320-list at catalina320.org>
Subject: Re: [C320-list] Oil changing pump kit

Steve - My recommendation is to buy the oil change pump right the first
time, unlike yours truly who bought cheap the first time and wound up buying
it twice!  The catalogues are full of different kinds of pumps but if you
talk with the pros - the guys who do this for a living everyday - they go
with a 12V SELF PRIMING PUMP mounted on top of an oil storage container.  If
you buy the non-self priming pump, you will regret that decision very soon.

One thing they don't tell you: the hose that comes from the pump is larger
than the hose that goes into the dip stick to remove the oil.  So they have
a reduction fitting that is put in between the large and small hose.  The
fitting is held together with a plastic clip.  This set-up works very well
when extracting oil - small hose to big hose.  The problem comes when you
are trying to use the reverse-cycle motor to pump the oil from the bucket
into a collection tank.  The pressure is so great when on reverse cycle that
the little plastic clip on the reduction fitting is blown off and oil shoots
all over your car (whose battery you are using to power the pump), yourself,
the storage container and pump, and the storage tank, everywhere but in the
storage tank until you can get close enough to the switch to turn the
%#&*%@#* switch off.  Lesson learned - use radiator clamps versus that
little plastic clip.  How do I know all this?  If I only had pictures...but
do you have any idea how long it takes for oil to completely clear away from
under your toenails because you were wearing sandals when you did this?
About 6 weeks - trust me, I know!

Wisdom - that is what is left over after all the mistakes have been made!

Hope this helps.

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Columbia, MD