[C320-list] Charger/Battery Wiring

Steve Magennis magenns at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 24 11:29:09 PDT 2006

Your batteries are NOT wired in parallel until you select "Both" at
your battery switch.  The current wiring has the negatives wired
together and to the ground while the positive terminals are wired to
their respective posts on the battery switch.  From this, you can
select Battery #1, Both, Battery 2, or OFF with the switch completing
the paralleling of the batteries.

You should hook the negative terminal of your new charger to the common
ground, and the positive from one channel directly to the positive of
Batery 1 with the positive from Channel 2 to the positive of Battery 2.

That way, your shore power will charge both batteries with no regard to
the position of the battery selector switch.

On another note, your alternator charges through the battery selector
switch, so it only charges the battery that is currently in use (or
both if "Both" is selected.

Your practice of using "Both" while under sail or at anchor can have a
very bad side effect of running down your entire battery bank and
leaving you unable to start the engine in the morning.  You are
probably better off to leave the battery selector to one or the other
battery when you are away from shore power, and recharge that batery
with the engine when you are under power.

Steve
Alchemist #909