[C320-list] More on Genoas

STINKIN GRINGO bousum at webtv.net
Fri Oct 27 14:08:03 PDT 2006

Dave up here in the frozen north we get 3 to 6 seconds per mile for the
furler and the sail must be able to furl.A true deck sweeper will only
hank on or run up the luff foil and can not be furled because of it
shape at the clew. Meaning the clew is also close to the deck where as
the furling jib the clew is cut much higher so it will roll up.The deck
sweeper is a faster sail because it has much more sail area.So I don't
see any advantage to have a furling jib tacked to the stem head. If your
jib is a true deck sweeper it is made to tack at the stem and have full
hoist if you move it to the drum the hoist will be to long.The cut of
the a furling  sail still curves up at the clew and it is also short
hoisted if you tack at the stem,so I don't think  your gaining
anything.If your jib is a furler I would furl at the spin set . When you
drop your spin and it blowing you may only need a 135% to go up wind
with and its faster to unfurl than to hoist then furl. Ken #711 STINKIN
GRINGO