[C320-list] stuffing box packing

Bill Culbertson billculb_a2 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 30 13:46:03 PST 2006

There are different flavors of GoreTex packing and West Marine does not carry the kind that you want.  I tried there GoreTex packing and it didn't work for me any better than flax or synthetic.

The stuff which I and others on this list swear by (the ones who don't have the PSS dripless shaft seal) is available online.

http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products/gfopacking/packing.html#measure

For size, some folks say their's is 3/16" and others say their's is 1/4".  I bought both and ended up using 1/4".  The website describes how to measure.  Another way to measure is to use drill bits (suggested by a list member here).

 -bill
 Harmony #859