[C320-list] stuffing box packing

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Tue Oct 31 06:20:14 PST 2006

I have hull 894 (2002) and the same situation with the owner's manual saying
3/16 inch packing dimension.  When measured using drills the packing was 1/4
inch.  I used the 1/4 inch Gortex packing from emarine mentioned in an
earlier string and basically eliminated any leakage to the bilge.  I
readjust once or twice during the season.  This is the best $15 investment
made on the boat and it only takes about 20 boat minutes to replace the
packing.  The hardest part was getting the old packing out and cleaning
packing off of the threads on the packing fitting so it could screw tight.

This is the 3rd season on the packing.  On thing I noticed is that I could
only get 2 layers of packing in the fitting and the instructions say use 3
layers.  I think there were only 2 layers of the original stuff in the
fitting.
Bob Sloat
Savannah