[C320-list] Docking lines supplied with 320s

moondancer5 at comcast.net moondancer5 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 11 08:29:21 PDT 2006

Hi everyone,

I got down to my boat after the remnants of Ernesto had whipped thru NJ (the same day I was driving my daughter back to RI) to find that while the lines luckily had held thru some very strong winds (gusts 50-60kts), they chafed pretty badly. I'm not sure what exact brand/type Catalina supplies with the new boats, they were already out of the packaging, but I'd like to know if anyone recommends any other type.

These are soft black braided on the outer covering, I think they're 5/8 inch, and I'd noticed from the beginning that they tend to get small snags and pulls in them and hold splinters from the dock piers. One bow line tied to the pier had tightened so much in the wind that the wood bits really stuck in the braiding, and the stern line, where it came off the cleat, is fairly shredded looking, although still intact.

I realize that I was lucky that the lines held considering I was not aware of the coming winds and did not get to double up, rig some springs, and put some chafing protection on the lines, but figure that I should replace these before another storm and wonder if I should look for similar type (and cover the stress points) or go for something else. Apparently other boats in the marina broke their lines, and I'm not going to trust the inadequate weather reporting around here again.

Thanks,

Susan
Moondancer