[C320-list] FW: Re: Docking lines supplied with 320s

Karl Mielenhausen _/) kmielen at iwon.com
Mon Sep 11 13:16:54 PDT 2006

I agree with Chris. 5/8 sounds good.... any thicker and you will have difficulty getting two lines secured on the boat's cleats. (You will double up all lines, right?). I'd stick with braided for the reasons Chris cites. I'd go with white, not a color... easier to see at night and under water (important if you are dealing with storm surge coming over fixed docks). Most important is good chafe protection. Our marina gives out old firehouse to use. Garden hose and clear PVC tubing also work well, as do the commercial chafe guards. Use plenty, so as your lines are adjusted during the storm, the edge of the dock is always cushioned.

Don't forget to remove the sails and canvas, and if possible, point the bow into the direction of most fetch.

Since we have to go through this several times during the hurricane season, and whenever we will be leaving town for an extended period of time, I put together a checklist on my website...

http://members.cox.net/mielen/C320Docs.html

PS. WM has a sale on docklines beginning 9/14

Karl Mielenhausen

2000 C320 Hull#690 "Silver Lining"

New Bern, NC

http://members.cox.net/mielen/