[C320-list] Anchor and Chain Size

Stanley Rogacevicz SROGACEV at holycross.edu
Tue Sep 12 09:06:52 PDT 2006

   Well..... I was going to go silent maybe having said enough but if Russ can loosely quote me then I'll quote myself on what I wrote to a friend yesterday who coincidentally dragged a CQR all chain the other day on his Nordic Tug 32. He had a CQR with rope for 18 years on his IP 31 and had dragged a few times. Last year he went to all chain and figured he was all set now. Not so. When you look around at the big old cruisers you see many CQR's and I think it goes back to when the choices were fewer and I think they have proliferated because "look at that big old cruiser - he must know". Any way... melodramatic as it may be, I said to him - " Well....... I know this is like arguing religion but plows plow and claws grab - that's what they were designed for..... and the claw concept is a design millions of years in the making..... although plows have been doing a good job in the fields for hundreds of years :>) "
Stan

>>> "russgm at yahoo.com" <russgm at yahoo.com> 9/12/2006 11:45 AM >>>
as Stan put it, "I have very little need to plow the bottom of harbors" as a result I didn't buy any anchor of that design, many advancements have been made in testing, holding and science since they were designed.  Read about the Spade, Rocna and Manson Supreme, they are the future.

  Here is a link to the articale I referred to earlier:
  http://www.noteco.com/bulwagga/multimedia/practical_sail_pdf_Jan_01.pdf

  Both the Rocna and the Manson Supreme were unavailable on the date of publication.

  -russ

  Sail0983 at aol.com wrote:
  I have been using a 25lb CQR with 30' of 5/16 chain and 200' of rope road on
my C-320 and have been very happy with the performance. I cruise primarily in
the middle Chesapeake bay were there is a lot of soft-mud. One of my
neighbors have a C-400 and the cruise from Maine to the Florida. They have used a
number of different anchors and this year changed to using a CQR.

Dave Marchant
Illumination #983
Solomons, MD