[C320-list] Hood Furler rebuild instructions?

Bruce Heyman BruceHeyman at cox.net
Sat Sep 16 08:03:13 PDT 2006

Chris,
We had a hood furler on our pervious boat, a Sabre 30.  Had to rebuild it
(replace lower bearing) almost every season and it was still hard to work.
Could extend the time between rebuilds a little bit by making sure that we
always cracked the halyard tension off when ever we use the furler and when
we put the boat away.

Practical Sailor had a good over view of furlers (they didn't do any testing
if I recall but did survey some people) in their August 15th 2004 issue. The
dealer for Hood in the US is Pompanette and can be reached at 603-826-5791
or at www.pompanette.com/hood.  I've dealt with them a few times on the
phone and they were very helpful and responsive.  If I remember right they
helped me identify which version of their furler we had and then sent me a
manual that shows you how to take it apart and maintain it.

A rigger in the Chesapeake, Rock Hall Sailing Emporium, tried to take the
thing apart but was unsuccessful.  I finally got the old bearing out by
using a Hitachi Grinder bought at the local Lowes and using hammers, chisels
and a modicum of verbal persuasion.  We had the first version of the Seafurl
(circa 1980), I hope you have something more modern

The good news and something that we were seriously considering is that Hood
offers 50% of MSRP for trade-ins.  The Seafurl 5 has a good reputation and
comes apart easily for racing.

Good luck,
Bruce
Somerset 671 SoCal