[C320-list] C320 Rudder Play

Chris Burti cburti at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 18 10:20:07 PDT 2006

I'll add a bit of info here. As a former Cal owner and
ex list member of that group, this was the topic of
considerable discussion on our older boats.

The general consensus there was that the rudder posts
rarely wear in uniform cylindrical pattern since the
post does not rotate consistently. They tend to wear
into an elipsoid shape. As a result, the epoxy
technique was excellent in theory, but in practice it
would lock up the rudder post immovably if there was
any significant wear.

The preferred repair was to shim the post with long
narrow tabs cut from soft drink bottles or milk jugs
and add them around the perimeter until rudder
operation was smooth. Polyethylene is
self-lubricating, so this is a low maintenance
solution. I did mine and it was holding up two years
later when we disposed of our T/2 a Lapworth designed
half-tonner.

Be aware that if you remove the emergency steering
bolt and the steering quadrant, nothing is holding the
rudder in the boat when you loosen the stuffing box.

Older rudders may not be positively bouyant...so...

cb

Chris Burti
"Commitment"
Catalina 320, #867,