[C320-list] Gori-Prop buyer question -Notapropmanufacturerdebate

Jeff Church jjemail at comcast.net
Mon Sep 18 18:33:17 PDT 2006

Jeff,

For what it's worth, I was referring to Catalina's current specs for the 320
which indicate that the 3 blade prop has 11 inches of pitch. I don't doubt
that the prop pitch varied over the years with different engine/trans
combinations, and I hope Chris takes that into consideration as he reviews
other boater's results. There are other things that he needs to consider.

 I was talking to the owner of Max Prop today and he said that there are a
lot of variables besides engine/trans ratio that go into determining the
correct pitch for a given model of boat. Combinations of factors such as
water temperature and salinity, how heavily loaded the boat is, how clean
the bottom is, and predominant sea state are among the things that will
influence your pitch selection. Chris should take this into account when
attempting to use other boater's results to make his decision.

One reason that an adjustable pitch prop might have a big advantage over the
non-adjustable Gori or Autoprop is it takes some experimentation to get to
the right pitch for your specific boat. Initially I pitched my MaxProp to
the manufacturer's pitch recommendation, but over the years I have done an
increasing amount of distance sailing and gone from pitching the prop for
clean bottom - lightly loaded - flat water conditions, to dirty bottom -
loaded for cruising - heavy weather conditions. A difference of 4 degrees (2
inches) of pitch.

Jeff