[C320-list] Furling line

Bruce Heyman BruceHeyman at cox.net
Sun Sep 24 12:37:20 PDT 2006

John,
On my previous boat I had a Hood and you didn't have to take anything apart
to remove the line.  Usually there is a hole at the intersection of the drum
and the bottom plate.  The line is threaded through the hole and then
terminated with a simple figure of eight stopper knot.  You should be able
to untie the knot and take the line off.

The flat line is usually standard double braided line with the core removed.
While the core provides a lot of the strength the outer braids provide the
chafe and comfort.  In this application you don't need a lot of strength and
can live with just the outside core.  On the older Hood furlers they worked
better if there was not to much line wrapped around the drum so people
stripe the core out of the part that you never have to put your hands on.
That way the part that you touch is still whole and comfortable but most of
what is getting wrapped around the drum is flat.
Bruce
Somerset #671 SoCal