[C320-list] Autopilot

Bruce Heyman BruceHeyman at cox.net
Tue Sep 26 16:47:40 PDT 2006

Funny thing happened to us when we left the Regatta to motor/sail back to
Dana Point.   The Autohelm was working fine with the main up, the engine
running, the wind about 30deg apparent and the waves on our nose (we were
hoping to surf the waves from Orlando on CL3 but they were way to far
ahead).

We deployed the jib and picked up another knot or so and quite a few more
degrees of heal.  All of a sudden the Autohelm tacked the boat 50-60 degrees
to port and the digital compass started jumping all over the place.  Took us
a while but finally figured out that the tool box that I put under the nav
station had slid down over the bilge board.  Guess where the flux gate
compass is?

Bruce
Somerset 671 SoCal