[C320-list] Calibrate Knotmeter

russgm at yahoo.com russgm at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 29 13:40:38 PDT 2006

my approach to the knot meter is that it is not speed, never has been speed and never will be speed, BUT it very importnat.  Becuase You use it to determine if you are tweaking things correctly, lets say it shows 4.9 kts, then you trim this, pull that etc, and all of a sudden it shows 5.5kts, you  know you did something right, so you use it as a sail speed reference, something that SOG can't provode becuase of the numerous varibales involved such as tides etc...One of the things I have done is experiment with towing my dinghy, how far back is the proper distance to have the least impact on speed, pull it in, check kts, send it out a biot, check kts, send it out more check again etc...
-russ monaco