[C320-list] Battery Charging Technique

Amirault Family amiraults at sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 18 16:24:57 PDT 2007

All:

Having recently taken delivery of 797 I am for the first time dealing
with having a starting battery and a large house bank (2 4Ds). The
problem is an effective way to maintain a charge on all of these
batteries. The normal course appears to be leaving the boat connected to
shore power when tied to the dock.

I am located at a sail club, rather than a marina. There are no services
at individual slips. Power and water are available only at the service
dock, where your tie up time is expected to be short.  Assuming the boat
has the standard charger and alternator issued in 2001, and with the
starting battery charge at 75% and the house battery charge at 50%, what
are the shore power/engine charging times that I have to allow to bring
these batteries back to full charge? Does the question make sense?

Brian Amirault
797 Waltzing Bear, too