[C320-list] Just replaced Bronze Shaft with SS

Jeffrey Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Tue Apr 24 17:35:23 PDT 2007

Hi All,

   Chris Holt and I replaced the bronze shafts on our boats with 55" SS
Aqualoy this past weekend.  We learned alot about the process while doing my
boat.  In the end it took a few beers over lunch after several hours of
failed attempts to figure out the *secret*, and the second boat took under
an hour for the whole process.

We ordered shafts through DeepBlueYachtSupply.com instead of Catalina
Direct.  The shafts were maybe $15-20 more, but Catalina Direct quoted us
4-6wks delivery time, whereas DeepBlue Yacht Supply had them to us in a
week.

The cutlass bearings were removed and new ones installed using the C320
Association's new Cutlass Bearing Remover.  There is definitely a trick or
two to learn but it wasn't   :)

The shafts were removed and replaced without dropping the rudder.  That's
not to say that they just slipped in place, it took some amount of muscle
and two people, but it worked.  My boat the shaft came out to the port side
of the rudder, and Chris's came out to the Starboard side.   It's possible
that some boats might have a strut that is *perfectly* aligned and centered,
making it more difficult.  As it was, they were very very close, and there
is no chance of removing the shaft without also removing the cutlass
bearing.

I thought the old cutlass bearing was in great shape, but whereas the old
one had a tiny bit of vertical play, the new one has zero play in any
direction as you'd expect.     The association's cutlass tool (once you
figure it out) really makes short work of removing the old and pressing in a
new bearing.  Just have to remove the propeller to do it.  I wouldn't
hesitate to do it again if needed, although replacing the shaft itself was
more "exciting".

-JeffH

PS:  Anyone with the older un-vented PSS shaft seal can contact PYI Inc. and
they'll send you a brand new replacement vented carbon ring free.  I'm
trying GFO this year, but if I don't have joy using that, I'll go back to
the PSS.