[C320-list] Seaworthiness

Kirk McCullough kirk.mccullough at telus.net
Fri Apr 20 14:58:22 PDT 2007

Don is right of course, it's a poor design, that has been corrected,  and I
think Don is over stating things.

We've sailed many hundreds of miles every year, since we got the boat in
1998. If water gets in, it drains back to bilge when i pull the plug out. My
boat has drain holes that allow that. I just keep the plug in at the bilge
unless I need to drain water, like last summer when a thru hull broke at
sea. We shipped over 50 gallons before i could stem the flow. The bilge pump
cleared it out quickly and easily. Didn't even need to use the manual pump
to keep up.

It's a small design error that I've had no problems living with. I know I
can get the water out of the boat.

Let's not overstate the issue. I would buy another older 320 even knowing
all about this issue with no hesitation. It's just not a big deal. The 320
has so many great qualities that just put the shallow bilge issue in its
place as "not a biggie". Now the port list, that's a whole other thing. :)

Kirk McCullough
Boomerang #124