[C320-list] Seaworthiness

Arthur Gates argates2nd at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 20 16:10:20 PDT 2007

In 5 years of owning #182, I have found the shallow bilge to be a real
pain.  I have drilled inspection and pumping holes to the inner liner, and
I have an efficient pump -- along with Teflon packing.  I also dislike the
way our wing-keeled boat tracks, with serious leeward drift.
However, I have no concerns about Seaworthiness after much off-shore
cruising and racing in MA, SW FL and the FL Keys.
For me, the pros outweigh the cons.
Rollie

with the shallow bilge, I never experienced any major problem with the
bilge configuration. Our sailing included many races in heavy weather and
several blue water crossings to the Bahamas. A dripless seal or drip free
packing will eliminate the most common source of water accumulation in the
bilge. I cannot agree with the writer of this email.

> Peter Clancy
> Former owner 'AROBAN'  #222
> Miami, FL

dock. The bilge system in these is an absolute joke. Any water that leaks
anywhere on this boat goes under the floor pan, not the so called bilge.
The only water that does go to this so called bilge is from the stuffing
box, but be careful if the hoses that enter are not sealed, the water will
leak OUT of the bilge. Who in their right mind would design a boat with
this joke of a bilge? And yes, I bought one of these follies, my bad for
not checking the bilge system out, but I never in my wildest dreams would
believe someone would design something like this. Looks to me like Frank
and the boys need to get out of the boat business and design bathtubs. So
anyone thinking about buying an early 320 think again or you will be
removing the sole and drilling holes to get the water out. Seaworthiness?
You be the judge. But Larry I'm glad you had a good trip sounds like fun.

c320-list-bounces at catalina320.com<mailto:c320-list-bounces at catalina320.com>