[C320-list] loose rudder post & bent shaft

Arthur Gates argates2nd at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 25 08:20:28 PDT 2007

Jeff,
Following Chris's e-mail this morning, my priority try is to drop the
rudder down a foot into a dug pit in order to get access to the top of the
rudder.  Then grind off the aft top 6" of the rudder to lower that section
part of an inch, and then reglass/barrier coat and Trinidad SR.

Here is Chris's e-mail of this am:  "In my opinion since you appear to have
a fairly minor bend in the rudder shaft, you have two easy options that I
would try before cutting and sleeving the shaft or replacing the rudder.

First, I'd try the come-along again. Note that three days or three minutes
are the same to steel, it won't develop a 'set' by holding it there for any
period of time. You have to bend it past the point you want because there
will always be a certain amount of spring back. You probably need to open
up the gap at aft end about an inch before releasing the come-along in
order to end up with enough clearance. You will just have to experiment and
go slow.

The second option is to drop the rudder, grind a half inch off of the top
at the back and re-glass it. I doubt the altered geometry will affect
handling significantly."

Jeff et. al., any other thoughts?
Rollie #182

We
> also made a visual check to see if it was in line with the keel (it was)
and

C320-List<mailto:c320-list at catalina320.com<mailto:c320-list at catalina320.com>

<cburti at yahoo.com<mailto:cburti at yahoo.com<mailto:cburti at yahoo.com<mailto:cbu

<c320-list at catalina320.com<mailto:c320-list at catalina320.com<mailto:c320-list