[C320-list] Kiwi Prop and PropSpeed and Fresh Water Lakes (Lake Ontario)

brucestanley brucestanley at optusnet.com.au
Tue Aug 28 00:01:36 PDT 2007

Hi All

Re Lake Ontario and Propellers needing antifoul:

I do not know of the needs of the Great Lakes with regard to antifoul.

I was borne and bread in Toronto and I never knew of the needs to antifoul boats there.

However it is essential to antifoul (Ablative, Hard, PropSpeed,etc) in the Ocean waters...

barnacles will noticeably attach themselves in 2 weeks.

This includes Hull, Keel, Rudder, Props and Shafts.

Regarding the cost of PropSpeed. Yes it is very expensive.

In Sydney you cannot buy it unless you are a "professional" applicator.

We have ways around that restriction. You take your prop to an "applicator"

and have him apply PropSpeed...coordinating it when he is doing one of his racing customers.

The other way is to get him to supply you some.

I have seen the price of PropSpeed in WestMarines catalogue and can tell you it is far less costly in Australia.

I think it is a New Zealand product.

It leaves a very slippery finish and applied properly, it lasts easy 12 months in Sydney waters.

I will go back to using it when I re-install my Kiwi Prop.

Hope this helps

Bruce Stanley C320#1084 / Sydney Australia