[C320-list] asymetric spinnaker or genneker

drshoffner at aol.com drshoffner at aol.com
Thu Aug 9 07:39:44 PDT 2007

Jeff,

How do you rig your preventer?

M. Shoffner

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Hare <Catalina at thehares.com>
To: 'C320-List' <c320-list at catalina320.com>
Sent: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 9:50 am
Subject: Re: [C320-list] asymetric spinnaker or genneker

Hi,

Couple of tricks we use.  (BTW, I'll try reefing the main next time, that
seems like an interesting idea.)

We sail wing and wing when going dead down wind.  HOWEVER, when sailing wing
and wing, we:

1) rig a preventer to keep the boom still
2) add quite a bit of boom vang to flatten the main
3) and sail slightly by-the-lee to spill air into the genoa and keep the
genoa pulling.

We don't allow guests to steer the boat in this configuration though because
you need to pay attention and know how to react to wind shifts.  Ie:  steer
*away* from the boom to prevent a gybe.

-Jeff