[C320-list] Questions

Kirk McCullough kirk.mccullough at telus.net
Tue Aug 14 11:16:28 PDT 2007

Darrell

On your chain question:
I have 60 feet of 5/16" BB (or is it BBB?) chain which is much heavier per
foot than other 5/16th chains. Most people are using 1/4" chain which is
even lighter. Whether your 100' will be too much weight or not will depend
on the type of chain you select.

With the 60' of chain I have, the boat is bow down about 3/8" to1/2"
compared with the 20' of 1/4" chain I used to have. But I sleep well at
anchor, I have never dragged with the heavier chain. We cruise and anchor
out a lot.

I use the Maxwell as is for both the rope and chain. When hauling anchor I
use 2 wraps on the drum until i get to the chain, then I go with a single
wrap once the chain gets there. You still need to tail the winch of course,
but I guess it must take about 1/2 the load, which  allows me to build some
muscle when we anchor somewhere different every night.

Kirk

Boomerang #124