[C320-list] Outhaul line jammed inside boom

Irv Grunes igrunes at comcast.net
Tue Aug 21 06:08:22 PDT 2007

Thanx Stephen.

Quentin,
Go to page 13 of the mast manual below sent by Stephen.

The block #2 is fastened at the mast end of the boom.
The block #1 is the floating block in the boom.  The open shackle or becket
shown on the #1 block in the page 13 figure has a line connected to it that
is the outhaul and goes back to the end of the boom and connects to the
clew.

Somehow that outhaul line disconnected from that #1 block

Access to that whole system is reached by drilling out the rivets of the
boom end as shown on page 12 of the manual

You could try an electrician fish tape to go after that #1 block and see if
you can capture it.

When its dark, shine  a thin flashlight down the aft end of the boom and
look down to see where that block sits while trying to fish it out.  The
line used on #851 by Charleston is very stiff, so if you catch the block,
have someone at the boom end keep pushing the line into the boom to get it
back.

I suggest to all on the list, to pull that block out of the end of their
boom and inspect the outhaul line connection to the beckett of that #1
floating block.

Irv Grunes