[C320-list] Club Racing the C320

Peter Clancy SAILORPETE at msn.com
Tue Aug 21 06:58:23 PDT 2007

Casual racers may underestimate the value of relatively small speed improvements.

 For example, assume a course is 15 nautical miles long. If you have a modest 1/2 knot per mile speed advantage (with a folding prop) over an identical boat with a fixed prop and you average 6.5 knots, by the time you reach the finish  you'll be at least 10 minutes ahead of the slower boat. If that boat has a 6 second per mile rating advantage due to a fixed prop, he only gains 90 seconds or 1.5 minutes when corrected. Generally speaking, the lighter the air, the greater the benefit of a folding prop. We raced 'AROBAN' successfully for several years with a Gori two-blade folder and took first in class in last October's Columbus Day Regatta which is South Florida's largest annual sailboat race.

The C320 is a capable racer especially when tweaked and sailed for optimum speed.

Peter Clancy
'AROBAN' #222 (former owner)
Miami, FL