[C320-list] Spinnaker Halyard???

Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Fri Aug 31 08:44:10 PDT 2007

Yes, the upper halyard is a spin halyard.  It was bent aft at the time
of the photo because I was using it as a safety line while up the mast.

I fly my asym on this, with a sock, without any problems.  I don't see
how a crane would help much, except possibly to reduce chafe by giving
you a better lead to a turning block.  Even then I don't think it would
help much without a separate halyard exit a few feet below the crane.
The cranes I've seen for 320s do not appear to be worthwhile, but I tend
not to fly the spin often in high winds where chafe would be a serious
problem.  If I were going to race I might go with a crane, but I'd try
to get a custom crane built that permitted the halyard block to get
further out in front of the headstay.

Scott