[C320-list] Night sailing

Jon Vez jonvez at comcast.net
Sat Dec 1 05:09:22 PST 2007

Bob,

You are correct--a night sail to get to cruising grounds in our
'neighborhood' greatly increases your range. We have done overnights to get
to the canal if going south or overnight to the Casco Bay. Crossing Mass Bay
or offshore outside of Isle of Shoals is quite easy at night. The shipping
lanes into Boston are the only areas where you have to be super vigilant if
going south (for you), but other than that you have deep water with no other
natural hazards to navigation. Sailing at night is a fantastic experience.
We also adhere to the other posts as far as their safety suggestions. We
usually do it with two aboard, but a third crew member makes it a bit
easier. Since we've only done single night sails where we have arrived at
our destination the following morning, we don't sleep or keep single
watches. We are usually too enamored with the experience so nobody can sleep
anyway..go for it!

Regards,

Jon Vez
Solstice #582