[C320-list] Bluewater sailing

Sat Dec 1 18:49:18 PST 2007

A 320 has sailed from Marina del Rey to Hawaii....the number of bluewater cruisers that are full keel are less and less...equipped correctly, I would have no problems in sailing a 320 out of sight of land...fin, wing and modified keel boats are regularly sailing all oceans...

c l 3
----------------------------------
Regards,
OD

From: Robert Seastream [robert.seastream at comcast.net]
Sent: 12/01/2007 06:35 PM
To: C320-List <c320-list at catalina320.com>
Subject: [C320-list]  Bluewater sailing

And to further stir things up:

For bluewater sailing, it's generally accepted that a full keel is
best.  Tracking issues aside, is a fin or wing keel boat up to such
sailing, particularly regarding safety in heavy weather?  While the 320
(and up) are CE rated class A (ocean), who on this list would feel
comfortable taking their 320 out of sight of land, say to Bermuda or
further?

In other news, we finally covered the boat today.  Took almost an hour
in the hot tub to thaw out!

Bob Seastream
'Intuition' # 906