[C320-list] C320 Regatta 2008

Robert Seastream robert.seastream at comcast.net
Sun Dec 9 15:34:57 PST 2007

These reports surprise, sadden, and may be enough to make us pass up
Annapolis in the future, if the prior accounts are germane to yacht
club attitudes in that area.

Two summers ago our minicruise was south through the Cape Cod canal,
down to Onset, MA.  We were never snubbed at our stops, which included
Rockport Harbor, Satuit YC (Scituate, MA), Onset Marina, and
Provincetown Harbor.  Other than Satuit YC, none were yacht clubs.  No
one got rich off our purchases, yet we patronized the marinas and
towns, and felt welcome.

Last summer, our minicruise was up to Belfast, ME, bopping around Vinal
Haven (and other islands) along the way.
Other than an overnight at Seguin Island (mooring field, no
facilities), we again marina hopped our way up. None of the stops
(Biddeford Pool YC, Wayfarer Marina (Camden), Belfast public docks),
snubbed us.  Again, no one got rich off our purchases (fuel, food,
slip/moor, etc.), yet we felt welcome.  Other than Biddeford, a club
aimed at interesting youngsters in sailing, none were yacht clubs.
Wayfarer catered to sail and power, with some HUGE (90-120 foot) power
boats, both resident and transient, yet we were treated well, even
complimented on our docking skill (I consider no dead, no damage, a
successful docking).

We may not be the most competent or knowledgeable sailors around, but
we've never joined a yacht club because we often find them to be full
of people that are better at looking good in uniforms at meetings than
at boating competently.  Since they represent their area, they should
also remember to treat their visitors kindly.  The prior accounts seem
to support my opinion.

Bob Seastream
'Intuition' # 906