[C320-list] Genoa Size

Darrell dgray at n-sea.org
Fri Dec 14 11:51:11 PST 2007

Thanks Scott,

Darrell
----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Thompson" <sthompson at toad.net>
To: "C320-List" <c320-list at catalina320.com>
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2007 7:01 AM
Subject: Re: [C320-list] Genoa Size

The "percentage" that sailmakers use to measure a sail is usually defined
to be the ratio of the "luff perpendicular" measurement to the luff
measurement (assuming a full hoist jib).  The luff perpendicular is the
distance from the clew to the luff, measured perpendicular to the luff.
The easiest way to measure this is with the sail off the boat and laid out
flat on a deck or lawn.  Simply fold the sail by pulling the tack along
the luff towards the head until the folded sail makes a right triangle
with the head at one corner, the clew at another corner, and one end of
the fold makes the third, right-angle corner.  Then the length of the
folded edge is your LP length and the percentage your sailmaker will use
is the ratio of this to the length of the luff itself.  This, together
with the luff length, determine the total area of the sail, assuming the
sail is triangular.

Contrary to popular opinion, the percentage does not have anything to do
with the distance from the mast to the forestay, or the amount of overlap
with the mast.  The LP distance for a 100% sail can be longer or shorter
than the distance from the mast to the forestay, depending on how you
measure the latter, the cut of the sail, and what the rake of the mast is.
 A 100% sail with a very high clew might overlap the mast quite a bit, for
example, while one with a very low "deck sweeper" clew might have the tack
slightly forward of the mast.  Both would have the same sail area.

Scott Thompson