[C320-list] Raw Water Intake Thru-Hull

Quentin Murphy qmurphy at sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 17 14:04:06 PST 2007

The only strainer on my engine intake is the filter assembly inside the boat
under the aft berth.  There's no strainer on the outside of the hull.  My
last boat (not a Catalina) had a bronze strainer mounted on the outside of
the hull over the intake line.  I presume the reason for no external screen
is so it can be cleaned without having to dive under the boat when it's
clogged.  I've had to clean my filter after motoring through weedy areas.
This set-up has its plusses and minuses.

Quentin Murphy
Celtic Knot #667