[C320-list] Reversed Polarity Light

Allan Field Allan.Field at comcast.net
Sun Feb 4 06:22:31 PST 2007

Paul - About 4-5 years ago, a couple in our marina sold their house and all
of their belongings.  They moved onto a cruising catamaran with all that
they owned, intending to circumnavigate up the Hudson, through the Lakes,
down the Mississippi and out into the Gulf and beyond for several years.
Within a day or so of moving in, they were running 5 space heaters.  The
load was too much for the boat, the wind was blowing about 30 knots, and it
took about 5 minutes for the boat to burn to the waterline.  They were on
board when the fire started but all they could do was get off as the boat
went up so fast.  There was a boat to windward that survived but the dock to
lee was destroyed.  Fortunately, there was no boat in the lee slip.  The cat
remained in the marina for about 2-3 weeks after and the stench was
overwhelming; last I heard it was in a landfill.  Lesson learned for yours
truly is that I only run space heaters when on board and then only one! -
Allan