[C320-list] FW: Rigging a second reef

Jeff Church jjemail at comcast.net
Sun Feb 11 21:07:20 PST 2007

Bruce,

APS has a 10% off sale on rope this month. I just bought a Crystalyne genoa halyard from them.

I don't know the length, but Catalina calls for 5/16" for the reefing lines. I used Yale's Yalelight  in 1/4" because I was hoping that a smaller diameter line would run thru the blocks easier and make it easier to shake out the reef. It didn't make it easy to shake out, and I think it's too small to handle comfortably. Also, it's almost too small for the self-tailer on the winch. I'll probably replace it soon with 5/16".

You could probably use a polyester double-braid like New England's Sta-Set or Samson's XLS. If you want something with a little less stretch, try a line that has a dyneema/polypro or vectran/polypro blended core. For that, Layline is carrying New England's new VPC at a pretty good price, or you could try Samson's XLS Extra.

I'm not sure if stiffer blended core will run through the blocks easier than a nice soft polyester line. Sta-Set X or X+ are the usual first step up to a higher performance line, but they are pretty stiff too, so you might want to avoid them.

You can get a recommendation from Layline or APS.
http://www.layline.com/default.asp
http://www.apsltd.com/Home.asp

 Again, it's a pain to shake out that reef so be sure to tell them that you need something that will run through all those blocks very easily. I'd be interested to know what they recommend.

JeffC