[C320-list] Cutlass/Shaft/Engine Alienment

jonvez at comcast.net jonvez at comcast.net
Mon Feb 12 04:56:16 PST 2007

Karl,

The cutless bearing is almost always due to engine alignment issues. Although your prop could be at issue, it is possible that whomever aligned the engine didn't do a great job. The job should be done when the boat is in the water, and at least 10 days after it is splashed if you keep the boat on the hard (given where you sail, I'd say that's a safe bet). If you have the rig tuned, this should also be done before you align the engine. The hull has a good deal of flex, and all of these impact the alignment--
Also, if the mounts are in bad shape, the engine won't stay in alignment long. Good luck...

Regards,

Jon Vez

From: Karl Krueger <smoothsail282 at sbcglobal.net>