[C320-list] Old name removal

Allan Field Allan.Field at comcast.net
Sat Feb 17 09:38:57 PST 2007

Bruce - The following is something I saved from Walter Burnett.  I believe
that he was addressing the stripes on the side of the boat at the time.
Hope it helps... - Allan

Having decaled more police cars over the years than I care to count, I've
learned a few tricks of the trade. 3M Company does make a commercial grade
decal remover, but it's better used for the final cleanup than lifting the
decal. The best way is with a heat gun or hair dryer on the lowest setting
and a lot of patience.  If you're really good, you can do it with a razor
blade, but gelcoat is a lot softer than a car finish and will damage easily.
Again, patience is the key ingredient.

Decal tape uses a pressure sensitive adhesive.  One trick is to lightly
spray the area with a slightly soapy water solution and float the decal
around until you get it where you want it. The water has no effect on the
adhesive, but too much solution won't let the decal stay where you put it.
Tack it with light pressure every 3-4 ft until it looks right. When it's in
the right place press it down and work out the bubbles with a squeegee.
Unfortunately, a really good line requires a lot of practice and an artist's
eye.