[C320-list] Frustrated with the Dutchman system

Bill Culbertson billculb_a2 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 22:11:15 PST 2007

Gary,

I was at Strictly Sail in Chicago too - on Thu & Fri.  Was the fellow you spoke with blond and fairly tall?  There were only two guys manning the Dutchman exhibit and the other was darker.  The blond was Martinus Van Breems - the inventor of the Dutchman system.  I spoke with him for quite a while since I recognized him from his video (and from an old Sailing Quarterly Video) - it was great fun.

I asked him how he landed the Catalina contract.  He said Catalina was using a different kind of system before whose name I forget.  He'd heard all kinds of complaints about it through his grapevine.  So he approached Gerry Douglas at a boat show and said something like "so, how's that xxx system working for you?"  Gerry was well aware of the problems and gave Van Breems his ear.

 -bill