[C320-list] Frustrated with the Dutchman system

cyrace at comcast.net cyrace at comcast.net
Tue Feb 20 07:50:48 PST 2007

I was also at the Strictly Sail in Chicago, and talked to the Dutchman folks (the dark haired one).  My problem has been that the weight of the batten (I think the second one) pulls the sail off the boom and ruins the flaking process from that point on.  He made these suggestions: the black clamp thingee on the topping lift that's nearest the mast should be squarely above the filament, and the other clamp to the rear should also be directly above or maybe slightly forward of the filament, but never behind, or lower than the filament.  Also, the tension on the two filaments is important: not too loose, not too tight.  You should be able to get a fist between the filament and the sail.  I'm going to pay special attention to these two suggestions if the weather ever gets warmer here.

I also have had twisting of the topping lift, spent many hours trying to get the twist out, usually give up in exasperation.  The twist doesn't seem to interfere with anything, so I just let it be.

Cy
Sea Major #948

From: Bill Culbertson <billculb_a2 at yahoo.com>