[C320-list] Frustrated with the Dutchman system

Joe Barrett joe at dolphinmortgage.com
Wed Feb 21 09:28:49 PST 2007

Hi Ken, it is not hard at all to swap out the line that makes up the loop on
the Dutchman. Mine had some wear and I swapped it out in just a few minutes.
Lined it up carefully to make sure the line had no kinks and it has been
fine ever since. I also had my canvas guy sew in zippers for the two mono
lines so I never have to adjust the height of the cars.
Since I did that the only thing we have to remember is to always loosen the
topping lift when raising the main to avoid snapping the mono lines. We also
marked with marker where the topping lift exits the clutch where the topping
lift should be eased too so we don't ease too much and catch the topping
lift on the backstay which is a REAL pain when you are racing and are
approaching a lay line.
Joe Barrett