[C320-list] Frustrated with the Dutchman system

Bill Culbertson billculb_a2 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 10:32:24 PST 2007

FWIW, my view is that just because a system takes a long time to learn to use correctly doesn't mean to me that it is an inferior system.  Or just because a system takes a significant effort to adjust correctly doesn't mean it is flawed.  Take engine alignment for example.  Takes a long time to get it right.  Is something wrong because of that, no.

All systems have trade offs.  If my choice were between something which took a good long while to get initially set up or to learn but worked like a champ each and every time I needed after I'd spent that effort, I'd pick that system over one which was easy to set up and had problems each time I used it. But others could easily see the same trade offs and make the different choice.  That's fine with me - their choice.  I kept my traditional packing gland and use GFO packing with great success.  Others have said, "forget that nonsense" and switched to the PSI dripless shaft seal.  Both seem like fine approaches to me.

 -bill culbertson
 Harmony #859