[C320-list] Frustrated with the Dutchman system

Thu Feb 22 08:37:56 PST 2007

Use McLube..they have a mast lubricating kit you can buy...

             "K L"
             <sfca33 at hotmail.
             com>                                                      To
             Sent by:                 c320-list at catalina320.org
             c320-list-bounce                                          cc
             s at catalina320.or
             g                                                    Subject
                                      Re: [C320-list] Frustrated with the
                                      Dutchman system
             02/21/2007 08:23
             PM

              Please respond
                C320-List
             <c320-list at catal
               ina320.org>

Wes:

What do you use to lubricate your track?

Ken Danko
#802, Grace

>From: Wes.Giles at averydennison.com
>To: C320-List <c320-list at catalina320.org>
>Subject: Re: [C320-list] Frustrated with the Dutchman system
>Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:42:56 -0800
>
>OK. time for my $.02 worth on this. I remember vividly trying to lower a
>sail and flaking it without the Dutchman system. It wasn't a lot of fun.
>I've never used any other system. I agree with Bill, when it is set up
>correctly and the sail track is lubed the sail drops like a guillotine
and
>is flaked correctly. Do you have to ensure that everything is positioned
>correctly? Absolutely.
>
>All that said, you like what you like, and you don't like what you don't
>like.
>
>Nuff said, I'm goin' sailing.
>
>Wes
>

>"K L" <sfca33 at hotmail.com>
>Sent by: c320-list-bounces at catalina320.org
>02/21/2007 12:48 PM
>Please respond to
>C320-List <c320-list at catalina320.org>

>c320-list at catalina320.org
>cc
>
>Subject
>Re: [C320-list] Frustrated with the Dutchman system
>

>Bill:
>
>You have a good point but the thing that separates the Dutchman from an
>engine alignment is that the Dutchman is designed to save time. It is
>optional, not required. My point is that a system designed to save time
>must
>do so otherwise it is flawed. So far it has not saved me time but I am
>willing to invest more effort to try to get it right with the hope that
it

>will save me time in the long run.
>
>Ken
>

> >From: Bill Culbertson <billculb_a2 at yahoo.com>
> >To: C320-List <c320-list at catalina320.org>
> >Subject: Re: [C320-list] Frustrated with the Dutchman system
> >Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:32:24 -0800 (PST)
> >
> >FWIW, my view is that just because a system takes a long time to learn
>
> >use correctly doesn't mean to me that it is an inferior system.  Or
just
> >because a system takes a significant effort to adjust correctly doesn't
> >mean it is flawed.  Take engine alignment for example.  Takes a long
time

> >to get it right.  Is something wrong because of that, no.
> >
> >All systems have trade offs.  If my choice were between something which
> >took a good long while to get initially set up or to learn but worked
>like
> >a champ each and every time I needed after I'd spent that effort, I'd
>pick
> >that system over one which was easy to set up and had problems each
time
> >used it. But others could easily see the same trade offs and make the
> >different choice.  That's fine with me - their choice.  I kept my
> >traditional packing gland and use GFO packing with great success.
Others

> >have said, "forget that nonsense" and switched to the PSI dripless
shaft
> >seal.  Both seem like fine approaches to me.
> >
> >  -bill culbertson
> >  Harmony #859

Someone