[C320-list] Solar Panel

DickPollitt dick.pollitt at bigpond.com
Mon Jan 8 17:08:17 PST 2007

My 1977 C-320 (Hull #364) was originally fitted with a "Uni Solar" solar panel mounted on the cabin top just forward of the mainsheet traveller. It seemed like a good idea, but only lasted about 18 months before the cells appeared to internally disintegrate. I was going to replace it, but on studying the makers literature I noted that it should not be installed on a horizontal surface as it can be damaged by water sitting on it.

However I would like to install a new solar panel to keep the batteries topped up, and would be interested if anyone has identified a model and location that works well. I was thinking of either using the same location on the cabin top, or possibly mounting it on a rail at the stern. Another thought is a portable flexible unit (like the original) draped over the boom while the boat is on its mooring.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dick Pollitt