[C320-list] Steering noise

mike gutshall mikegutshall at msn.com
Sun Jan 14 06:34:40 PST 2007

Last season I started to hear a, as best I can describe, "metallic click" somewhere in the steering system.  The "tick" noise occurs in heavy wind when on a close haul/port tack.  When the rudder has resistance and you apply more by pointing upwind, I hear a tick noise.  It only happens when turning to port.  There is no vibration or slippage felt at the wheel when this occurs.

I have checked and lubed the cables and I have inspected as much as I can see.  I can not find the source.

At this time the noise is simply a nuisance but I would like to address it and make sure that I don't have problem in the developmental stages.

Has anyone ever had this situation and if you have, how did you address it?

thanks
Mike G
Alibi 401